Date: November 6, 2019
Position Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: November 22, 2019
Starting Date: January 1, 2020
Salary and Benefits: Negotiable – commensurate with skills and experience.
Wascana Racing Canoe Club
Attention: Aaron Patterson
Wascana Racing Canoe Club
The Wascana Racing Canoe Club, incorporated in 1987, is a sprint racing canoe/kayak club located on Wascana Lake in Regina, Saskatchewan. As a club we are successful at several different levels including producing national and international level athletes and providing youth and adults with fun paddling opportunities. Our mission is to build the sport of sprint canoe/kayak racing in Regina and area to foster performance excellence and athlete wellbeing.
The Head Coach Position
The WRCC is inviting applications for the Head Coach from experienced head coaches and from assistant coaches and athletes with solid coaching experience who wish to make a career in the sport. Reporting to the Personnel Committee of the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will lead all stages of athlete development and have the principle role in the management and growth of the Club. Additionally, you will be directly responsible for all aspects of training and performance improvement of Next Gen athletes. If you are passionate about the sport, enjoy working with and motivating athletes and developing junior coaches, this is the job for you.
The successful individual will be highly motivated and have ambitions to continue their own personal development as a coach in the sport of sprint canoe/kayak. You will be involved in educating our coaches, organizing and planning of strength/fitness and on-water training sessions, individualized training plans, communications with parents and athletes, and growing the sport through the recruitment of young athletes.
- Supports the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs for high athletes, demonstrates by the number and performance of WRCC athletes participating at divisionally and nationally sanctioned events;
- Ensures the ongoing development of the club through the recruitment of young athletes into the sport of sprint canoe/kayak and the implementation of a variety of programs to develop the paddling skills of junior athletes;
- Encourages and supports the implementation of the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) program within the club;
- Ensure individualized athlete annual training program with mentoring and monitoring services for athletes and club coaches;
- Ensures the coordination of the logistics for training events and competitions, including transportation, accommodation arrangements;
- Assumes southern Saskatchewan High Performance responsibilities to support the establishment of high performance and sports science planning and viability of clubs and high-performance athletes in southern Saskatchewan; and
- Fosters the development of certified coaches by supporting the coordination and delivery of training courses and other professional development activities and the mentoring of club coaches.
The Applicant Should Be/have
- Proven leadership skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Self motivated;
- Detail oriented;
- Teaching skills /communication skills;
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with solid written and oral communication skills;
- An understanding of the canoe/kayak environment in Canada;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and competence within the coaching environment;
- Minimum ELCC Certification Level 3 certification)
- Competitive Development or ELCC Advanced certification or working towards
- Current CPR and First Aid training
- Pleasure Craft Operator License
- Minimum 2 years coaching experience with High Performance Athletes